Thursday, October 11, 2012

Changes

Over the past year I have put on approximately 30lbs.  I don't know if it has been the past year, maybe only the past 6 months.  Either way this is not a mystery.  It is not because I am eating less than my body is using.  In truth over the past year my diet has become bad.  I cook less, I eat out more.  My gym workouts are practically non-existant.  I do not swim.  My kettlebells are essentially gathering dust.

My clothes are fitting tighter, some not really at all.  I used to be close to fitting into a size 34 pant, now I am close to fitting into size 40s.

I post a lot about choices.  Choices are what we have in our control.  The ability to steer our life and health where we want it.  Sometimes where we are is chosen for us.  That is not the case for me.  There is nothing stopping me but myself.

Things are different now.  I used to have an exceptionally strong online social support network.  Most of these people are still out there.  Some still post in the same place, but I find I do not. 

Some of these people who have known me online for years have done amazing things and have stayed in their fitness community and some have even defined it.  I could not be more proud of these people it is an honor to know them.

They made different choices than I did.  This post is not about choices though.  I made some, now it is time to see about fixing the damage.  I still have support, even if it is different than it once was.  I just need to embrace it.  That is one change.  I need to make others. 

Over the past few days I have looked at my habits and have identified things that can be changed.

DIET:  I eat like crap.  This should not be a hard one to change.  I have done it before I can do it again.
  • Eat more vegetables:  Salads, raw veggies etc
    • Eat a big salad 5 times a week
    • Bring raw vegeatbles to work for snacks 5 days a week
  • Cook more: Pre-cook meatloafs and roasts.  Cook more often
    • Cook for Monday - Friday dinners
    • Pre plan these meals
  • Eat out less: with the exception of lunch cut back eating out.
    • Eat out with the GF on Saturdays and Sundays.
    • Watch intake on after practice nights, keep under calories
  • Drink more green tea
    • Drink green tea at least once per day
  • Stop buying baked goods, "just one more time, tomorrow is a new day"  It is tomorrow
    • It's tommorrow.
  • Watch Calories
EXERCISE:  Pretty much non-existant, Finding gym motivation is hard.
  • Swing the kettlebell at least twice a week, 200+ swings
  • Walk more.  Average steps seems to be about 3,500.
    • Walk more to double this 3 times a week
  • Practice is the only think I have done consistently
    • Aim for 2x a week, make at least 1x a week
    • Slow work 2x a week at home
  • Circuit 2x a week
    • Swings, Pushups, Rows, Squats, Mountain climbers
This is a lot of changes.  They will not happen all at once, that is a recipe to burn out.  This week I am implementing a few though.
  • Green tea at least once per day
  • More vegetables
  • Eat out less
  • Watch intake after practice
  • Watch calories
  • Stop buying baked goods.
Current Stats
Weight: 250lbs
Neck: 16"
Waist: 44"
Hips: 46"

No comments: